|BRIEF HISTORY OF THE LMMC||1892-2013|
Founded in 1892 by a group of women amateur musicians, the LMMC embarks on its 122nd season of uninterrupted musical activity. Originally all concerts were given by active members with the occasional assistance of local professionals. In 1895 the Club brought to Montreal the Belgian violinist Eugène Ysaÿe, whose recital was such a success that the Ladies increasingly engaged international artists.
Horowitz, Serkin, Rubinstein, Heifetz, Milstein, Stern, Rampal, Piatigorsky, Tortelier, Yo-Yo Ma, Lehmann, Ferrier, Souzay, the Budapest, Amadeus, Juilliard Quartets, the Beaux Arts Trio, are but a sampling of those who have performed and, in many cases, made their Montreal debuts at the Club. The long list of Canadian artists includes Saucier, Chamberland, Forrester, Alarie, Donalda, Simoneau, Gould, Turini, the Orford Quartet.
The LMMC is a non-profit organization, managed by a volunteer committee. Admission is open to all on a subscription or single-ticket basis.